University of Anbar - College of Education for Humanities
University of Anbar –College of Education for Humanities
Document Type : Research Paper
The current research aims to identify the preventive coping among university students according to some demographic variables, and to achieve this, the researcher adopted the Greenglass, Schwarzer & Taubert scale, which consists of (10) paragraphs with five alternatives. The researcher applied the scale to a random sample consisting of ( 300 male and female university students to verify the psychometric properties of the measures of honesty, where the stability of the measure of preventive Coping in the re-test method was (0.84), and by the Alpha Cronbach method (0.81). Then the researcher applied the scale to a sample of (200) male and female university students for the purpose of extracting the results using the statistical package (SPSS) represented by the t-test for one sample and two independent samples, Pearson correlation coefficient and Alpha Cronbach equation for internal consistency. The research found that university students enjoy a high level of preventive Coping. And that there are differences in Coping according to the variable of sex and in favor of females, and there are no statistically significant differences in the preventive Coping according to the variable of specialization. The researcher recommended the need to focus on the role of families and educational institutions, the need to support the individual's self-confidence, and motivate him. He suggested a number of proposals, including conducting studies on preventive Coping and its relationship to some variables such as motivation, life satisfaction, and emotional intelligence.
- Adebayo, D.O., Sunmola, A.M. & Udegbe, I.B. (2008). Subjective wellbeing, work-school conflict and proactive coping among Nigerian non-traditional students. Career Development International.
- Anastasi, , A .(1976) psychological Testing ,New York .the Macmillan publishing.
- , L.G., Taylor., S,E.(1997). A stitch in time: Self-regulation and proactive coping. Psychological Bulletin,121, 417-436.
- Boudarene, L.G. (2005). Emotional Dissonace, Emotional Exhaustion and Job Statisfation in Call Centers Workers. european Journal of work and organizational psychology, vol.12(4), pp.366-392.
- ,G, F.(2001). concepts, stress, coping, strategies de coping elaborees pour faire face a une maladie grave, l exemple des cancers ,recherché en soins infermiers.
- Drummond, S. (2014). Being Proactive About Proactive Coping: Exploring Future Oriented Coping and Abbraisal With in A transactional Frame Work, Bachelor of psychological science, School of Abblied Psychology, pp.1- 321, Griffith University
- Dwyer, A.L., & Cummings, A.L. (2001). Stress, Self- Efficacy, Social Support, and Coping Strategies in University Students. Canadian Journal of Counselling, 35(3),208-220.
- Ersen, Ö & Bilgiç, R.(2018). The effect of proactive and preventive coping styles on personal and organizational outcomes: Be proactive if you want good outcomes, Cogent Psychology, 5:1, 1492865, DOI: 10.1080/23311908.2018.1492865 To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2018.1492865
- Fischer, G.N, Tarquinio, C. (2006(. conceptsfondam ntaux de la psychologie de la santé,DUNOD,Paris.
- Gan, Y., Hu, Y., & Zhang,Y. (2010). Proactive and preventive coping in adjustment to college. Psychological Record, 60, 643–658.
- Gan, Y., Yang, M., Zhou, Y., & Zhang, Y. (2007). The two-factor structure of future-oriented coping and its mediating role in student engagement. Personality and Individual Differences, 43, 851-863. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2007.02.009
- Greenglass, E. R. (2001), Proactive coping, work stress an burnout. Stress News.
- Hu, Y., & Gan, Y. (2011). Future-oriented coping and job hunting among college students. Psychological Record, 61, 253–268. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03395759
- Lazarus, R.S., & Folkman, S., (1984). Stress, Appraisal and Coping. (pp.141-456). New York: Springer.
- Markle, M.M. & Mccarthy, C.J. (2013). Personality Traits Preventive Coping and Self Care in Masters Level Counselor Training. In Reevy, E.M. & Frydenberg, E. (Eds.), The book of personality stress and coping (chpt; ,pp.217-230) USA: printed. In: www. infoagepub. com.
- Niessen, C., Müller, T., Hommelhoff, S., & Westman, M. (2018). The impact of preventive coping on business travellers’ work and private life. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 39(1), 113–127.
- Schwarzer, R, & Lusczynska, A.(2008). Reactive, Anticipatory, Preventive, and Proactive Coping: A Theoretical Distinction. Journal Article, Vol.15,N4, pp.22-24.
- Schwarzer, R. (1999). Self-regulatory processes in the adoption and maintenance of health behaviors. The role of optimism, goals, and threats. Journal of Health Psychology, 4, 115-127.
- Schwarzer, R., & Knoll, N. (2003). Positive coping: Mastering demands and searching for meaning. In S. J. Lopez, & C. R. Snyder (Eds.), Positive psychological assessment: A handbook of models and measures (pp.393–409). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Schwarzer, R., & Renner, B. (2000). Social-cognitive predictors of health behavior: Action self-efficacy and coping self-efficacy. Health Psychology, 19, 487-495.
- Schwarzer, R., & Taubert, S. (2002). Tenacious goal pursuits and striving toward personal growth: Proactive coping. In E. Frydenberg (Ed.), Beyond coping: Meeting goals, visions and challenges (pp. 19-35). London: Oxford University Press.
- Vaculíková., J.(2017). Testing the Uni-dimensionality of Proactive and Preventive Coping. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy, 17, 327-335.
- Versova, M. & Mala, D. (2012). Stress, Proactive Coping and Self- Efficacy of Teachers. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 55. pp.294-300. University in Nitra, Slovakia.